The Purpose of Your Life is to Prepare You For Marriage


Now hold on, before you get upset, hear me out.

I am a single female in her early twenties, and I feel the pressure, especially in my conservative Christian friend circles, to find my mate and settle down.
Though the pressure heightens the older we get, really this has been a pressure placed upon us from a very young age. We are taught, from adolescence on, that we as young women are to be preparing for marriage.
Be sure to learn how to cook... for when you get married
Know how to run a home... for when you get married
Keep yourself pure... for when you get married
Get advice from older couples
Read every book on marriage preparation
Babysit and know how to take care of kids
For when you get married.

All of this is nice and all but I'm still not married. So should I still be preparing? Though it is not often presented as an equal or sometimes even as a plausible option, it could be God's will for me to remain single for the rest of my life. So what then? I've spent my whole life preparing for marriage and there's a chance that I might not even get married? Have I been gypped? Did I do something wrong?
Am I not prepared enough?

The truth of the matter is, I am supposed to be preparing for marriage.
In fact, the whole point of life on this earth is to prepare the Christian man or woman for their future marriage.

But not the one you are thinking of.
"Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out,
“Hallelujah!
For the Lord our God
the Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and exult
and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
and his Bride has made herself ready;
it was granted her to clothe herself
with fine linen, bright and pure”—
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”"
Revelation 19:6-9



Now do you see what I am saying?
We are preparing for the ultimate union with Christ at the end of time! Everything we do is for our future marriage, but not in the way we've been taught. We should be preparing for earthly marriages as well, because those are a picture of Christ and His bride the church (Ephesians 5:32). But until we have the opportunity to live out that picture, if the Lord gives us that opportunity to live out that picture, our main focus is to be preparing for the biggest wedding ever. Even after earthly marriages we should continually be preparing for the marriage supper of the Lamb.
And guess what?

The cool part is that when we prepare for that, we will be prepared for everything else in life! When we prepare by being like Christ,
We will love selflessly
We will remain pure
We will care for other people
And we will be prepared
The whole point of everything is Christ. That is what we are to be teaching the next generations. If we know nothing but Christ and Christ crucified, we will already be doing the rest. The more we know Him the more we will be like Him, and that is the best way to be the best spouse you can be.

So yes, let us encourage one and other to prepare for marriage. That is the single most important thing in this life. We should start preparing from a very young age and we should encourage others to prepare too.

Just don't forget which one we are talking about here.

















*Photo creds to Photos By Sophie

Comments

Popular Posts