Change

I've never been a friend of change,
Yet neither an enemy,
But I've always clung to what I know,
To things that I can see,
The winds of change chill me through,
And in its waves I'm tossed,
Leaving everything I've known,
And suddenly I feel lost.
And as I start to fear the things,
The things which are to come,
I feel a gentle nudging to look,
Back to where I've come from.
I see the places of my past,
And look and laugh and cry,
And wonder at the things which have been,
The times that have gone by,
Then You ask me, "My dear child,
When you look at your past,
Imagine if I'd granted your wish,
That each time it would last.
Do you really wish things had stayed,
Just as they had been?"
"No, of course not!" I said,
"I've grown do much since then!
I've loved and lost and messed things up,
Had beginnings and had ends,
I've matured in You and learned so much,
And gained so many friends."
As those words left my mouth I saw,
What I couldn't see before,
I saw the blessing and the love,
Behind each closed door.
And my attitude towards change changed,
As I looked ahead,
Would I rather things had never changed,
Be where I was instead?
No, I know I'd rather have,
What my Father has for me,
And I will trust Him in the things,
I can't know or see.
So thank You Lord for the times to come,
And the times that have gone,
Thank You that with each setting sun,
There is a brand new dawn.
 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.~Hebrews 11:8

Comments

Popular Posts